The Research Associate forms part of a global team responsible for the research and maintenance of several online intelligence services that track the flow of capital between investors (LPs) and fund managers (GPs) active in the alternative asset classes of private equity, private real estate, infrastructure and private debt.
The Research Associate is primarily engaged in the following activities:
- Maintaining profiles of investors and managers in private markets for publication in our online products
- Using online sources, including company/investor websites and news sources, to maintain up-to-date and accurate intelligence
- Telephone interviews with senior executives at institutional investor firms to determine their current allocation to and future appetite for investments into alternative assets
- Telephone interviews with fund managers to obtain reliable information about their current and future fundraising activities
- Translation of these phone conversations into the accurate input of data and intelligence
- Writing high quality factual copy to summarise the attitude of the investor / fund manager towards the asset classes
- Maintaining a good knowledge of alternative assets news through reading multiple intelligence sources to spot trends and contribute ideas for analysis pieces
- Understanding how best to interpret and present data
- Working as part of a team to rank the largest institutions in private markets
- Working as part of a team to collect data on the sentiment of firms active in private markets
- Attendance at PEI events in Hong Kong to speak with investors and fund managers face-to-face.
- Other duties
The balance of the above tasks will vary.
The role demands excellent organisational skills, excellent verbal and written communication and an analytical mind. The ability to focus and a keen eye for detail are essential to ensure that we maintain accuracy and a high quality of output. The research associate also needs to be comfortable with process and must be thorough in his/her work.
The role would suit individuals with good written and research skills, high levels of self-motivation, excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to understand the dynamics of the industry to have informed conversations with its players.
The successful candidate will have strong attention to detail and patience so that work is completed on time and to the required standard. Multitasking skills are also essential. He/she also needs excellent research skills. The post holder should be inquisitive and have a proactive, methodological and enthusiastic approach to work.
The successful candidate must have excellent spoken and written English skills. Proficiency in Mandarin, Japanese and/or Korean is advantageous. The ability to work on one’s own initiative whilst maintaining close and effective relationships within a team is needed.
A working knowledge of and interest in financial services would be a distinct advantage. The potential to grasp the dynamics of the private equity industry is also required.
This is an ENTRY-LEVEL post and candidates without prior relevant experience are also welcomed. Candidates should be bachelor degree educated.