Senior Research Associate
The senior research associate forms part of a global team responsible for the research and maintenance of several online intelligence services that track the flow of capital between investors (LPs) and fund managers (GPs) active in the alternative asset classes of private equity, private real estate, infrastructure and private debt.
The senior research associate will be responsible for the research of funds and GPs active in real assets (real estate and infrastructure) and will be primarily engaged in the following activities:
- Running quality control processes to ensure high quality of output from more junior researchers in PEI's London and India offices
- Devising and executing plans to expand the numbers of funds and GPs tracked by PEI globally
- Devising and executing plans to improve and deepen the quality and quantity of research conducted on private funds and GPs
- Managing projects such as rankings and surveys of fund managers active in real assets
- Maintaining a strong working knowledge of alternative assets by regularly reading news sources and research papers
- Using the above knowledge, the candidate will be expected to become a specialist in private real estate, infrastructure, and the agriculture investment markets
- Translation of in-depth phone conversations with senior executives into the accurate input of data and intelligence in PEI's published products
- Understanding how best to interpret and present data
- Writing high quality factual copy to summarise the latest fundraising market updates
- Writing high quality data-led analysis pieces relating to GPs and the fundraising environment
- Building and maintaining written and data-driven profiles of private market GPs for publication in our online products
- Using online sources, including company websites, regulatory filings and news sources to maintain up to date and accurate intelligence
- Telephone interviews with senior executives at GP firms to determine their current and future fundraising plans
- Working as part of a team to rank the largest institutions in private market
- The balance of the above tasks, along with other duties, will vary.
The role demands first-rate organisational skills, excellent verbal and written communication and an analytical mind. The ability to focus and a keen eye for detail are essential to ensure that we maintain accuracy and a high quality of output. The senior research associate also needs to be comfortable with process and must be thorough in his/her work.
The senior research associate will work with a team of research associates within the London offices and will be expected to build relationships with colleagues in other offices. The senior research associate will also need to build relationships with editorial, sales, event and marketing staff members where necessary.
The senior research associate is responsible for building relationships with senior contacts in the industry through telephone and e-mail correspondence and occasional face-to-face meetings, for example at PEI's own conferences.
The role would suit individuals with highly developed written and research skills, high levels of self-motivation, excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to understand the dynamics of the industry so as to have informed conversations with its players. Experience within a research role is essential, as is experience of writing copy.
The role also demands attention to detail and patience so that work is completed on time and to the required standard. Multitasking and strong time management skills are also essential.
The successful candidate must have excellent spoken and written English skills. Proficiency in a major European language, especially French or German, is advantageous. Candidates must be degree educated with a 2:1 or higher.
The role demands excellent research skills. The post holder should be inquisitive and have a proactive, methodological and enthusiastic approach to work.
The ability to work on one’s own initiative whilst maintaining close and effective relationships within a team is needed. Whilst this role will not involve direct line management, experience of managing projects and the ability to influence, motivate and enthuse others is essential.
A working knowledge of and interest in financial markets would be a distinct advantage. The potential to grasp the dynamics of the private equity industry is also required.
Key success measures
- Meeting agreed deadlines when managing projects
- Building strong relationships with market participants
- Meeting agreed targets of numbers of institutions researched and updated
- Accuracy of data researched, both from an individual and team level
- Maintenance of an enthusiastic and positive attitude towards work