Senior Research Associate
The Senior Research Associate forms part of a global team responsible for the research and maintenance of several online intelligence services that track the flow of capital between investors (LPs) and fund managers (GPs) active in the alternative asset classes of private equity, private real estate, infrastructure and private debt.
The Senior Research Associate is primarily engaged in the following activities:
- Running quality control processes to ensure high quality of output from more junior researchers in London and India offices
- Devising and executing plans to expand the numbers of funds and managers tracked by PEI in globally
- Devising and executing plans to improve and deepen the quality and quantity of research conducted for funds and managers
- Project managing tasks related to the candidate’s fields of specialisation: private real estate, infrastructure, and the agriculture investment space
- Maintaining a good knowledge of alternative assets news through reading multiple intelligence sources to spot trends and contribute ideas for analysis pieces
- Using the above knowledge, the candidate will be expected to become a specialist in the following fields: private real estate, infrastructure, and the agriculture investment space
- Translation of phone conversations with senior executives into the accurate input of data and intelligence
- Understanding how best to interpret and present data
- Writing high quality factual copy to summarise the latest fundraising market updates
- Writing high quality data-led analysis pieces relating to investors in alternative asset funds and the fundraising environment
- Building and maintaining written and data-driven profiles of managers in private markets for publication in our online products
- Using online sources, including company websites, regulatory filings and news sources to maintain up to date and accurate intelligence
- Telephone interviews with senior executives at fund management firms to determine their current and future fundraising plans
- Working as part of a team to rank the largest institutions in private markets
- Other duties
The balance of the above tasks, along with other duties, will vary.
The role demands first-rate organisational skills, excellent verbal and written communication and an analytical mind. The ability to focus and a keen eye for detail are essential to ensure that we maintain accuracy and a high quality of output. The senior research associate also needs to be comfortable with processes and must be thorough in his/her work.
The Senior Research Associate will work with a team of research associates within the local office and will be expected to build relationships with colleagues in other offices. The senior research associate will also need to build relationships with editorial, sales, event and marketing staff members where necessary.
The Senior Research Associate is responsible for building relationships with senior contacts in the industry through telephone and e-mail correspondence and occasional face-to-face meetings.
The role would suit individuals with highly developed written and research skills, high levels of self-motivation, excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to understand the dynamics of the industry so as to have informed conversations with its players. Experience within a research role is essential, as is experience of writing copy.
The role also demands attention to detail and patience so that work is completed on time and to the required standard. Multitasking and strong time management skills are also essential.
The successful candidate must have excellent spoken and written English skills. Proficiency in a major European language, especially French or German, is advantageous. Candidates must be degree educated with a 2:1 or higher.
The role demands excellent research skills. The post holder should be inquisitive and have a proactive, methodological and enthusiastic approach to work.
The ability to work on one’s own initiative whilst maintaining close and effective relationships within a team is needed. Whilst this role will not involve direct line management, experience of managing projects and the ability to influence, motivate and enthuse others is essential.
A working knowledge of and interest in financial services would be a distinct advantage. The potential to grasp the dynamics of the private equity industry is also required.
Key success measures
- Meeting agreed deadlines when managing projects
- Building strong relationships with key players within the candidate’s specialisation fields
- Meeting agreed targets of numbers of institutions researched and updated
- Accuracy of data researched, both from an individual and team level
- Maintenance of an enthusiastic and positive attitude towards work