Digital Acquisition and Retention Manager - PEI
This is a new role for a digital marketer with particular bias for SEM (SEO & PPC) and how these channels must be managed to optimise customer acquisition and retention.
The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of the technical and operational elements of SEO and PPC, however this is not a “techie” role. We work with a number of agencies/consultants (SEO, PPC, analytics) who will have the in-depth technical expertise to draw upon. You need to be able to effectively manage those agencies (along with budgets) alongside their own work to achieve our commercial objectives. So you will need to build an understanding of our business, markets and customers, as well as our internal systems and processes, to be able to develop and drive a SEM led customer acquisition and retention strategy, covering:
- acquiring customers (and registrations) at an agreed CPA
- understanding what content customers want, and what content converts via analytics
- designing and testing landing pages for conversion optimisation
- providing simple and clean customer journeys from first click to purchase
- Use of conversion rate optimization techniques to convert more traffic to registrations and revenue
We envisage that the right person in this role will quickly grow to become seen as a digital marketing expertise within the business, and so will be able to input into other important aspects of digital marketing: CRO, social media, analytics, UX.
This is an outstanding opportunity for someone who relishes a greenfield role in a growing publishing and events business and take ownership of SEO digital marketing processes and help define the overall strategy.
Accountabilities and responsibilities
- Set and own customer acquisition and product sales targets via SEM channels across all of our eight financial investment brands.
- Achieve and maintain key website targets including: traffic (new & returning), registrations, logins, paywall hits, on-line sales.
- Working with the editorial teams to enlighten, educate, and provide guidance to ensure on page SEO optimisation of all our webpages is included in editorial workflows.
- Establishing and maintaining page 1 ranking for our key industry search terms.
- Maintain close and positive working relationships with our digital agencies (SiteVisibility, We are all Connected, Pragmatic).
- Ownership of the reporting of all marketing related CMS and website bugs and issues to technical partners.
- Maintain close and positive working relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Using CRO tools to increase conversion rates of traffic to registrations and registrations to revenue.
- Detailed, clear and frequent reporting of all relevant KPIs for SEO, PPC and CRO budget spend
Organic Search Optimisation
Work closely with our SEO agency to ensure we continually optimise our sites for search to improve rankings, traffic and conversion. This will involve overseeing the implementation of agency recommendations along with your own, including:
- Indexing - ensure all our editorial and product pages are indexed with Google (and other search engines).
- Keywords - develop a process to track keyword search trends for industry news, analysis and data and then ensure our pages are ranking highly.
- Metadata - ensure all of our editorial and product pages have correct and compelling metadata.
- URL structures - design and manage to optimise page rankings.
- Re-directs - monitor broken links and defunct pages ensure suitable to re-directs are in place.
- Link building - initiate a link building program across all our sites and encourage the embedding of links to 3rd party sites in our articles and product pages as well as our own sites.
- Work with our PPC agency to drive an ongoing advertising schedule to an agreed cost per acquisition
- Build and improve bespoke PPC landing pages to maximise relevance and conversion
- Contribute to ad copy creation and ongoing testing for optimal conversion
- Work with agency to build events, goals and funnels in Google Analytics to track keyword effectiveness
- Monitor all key PPC metrics in Google Adwords account including: traffic, conversion
- Own the PPC budget and ensure monthly spend is carefully managed
- Managing Google Adwords account and provide regular reporting
Reporting and stakeholder relationships
Job Title: SEO Manager
Line Manager: Head of Subscriptions Marketing
Department: This role sits within the Marketing Department and will require a close working relationship with subscriptions and events marketers in all offices (London, New York and Hong Kong)
Campaign geographical remit: Global – with a heavy bias toward US and UK.
Direct reports: None
Internal stakeholders: Head of Content, Global Head of Events Marketing, Journalists, Conference Producers, Research and Analytics Director.
- Sound stakeholder management experience working through business process changes
- Experience working in partnership with technical teams
- Highly analytical and commercial
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in a marketing environment
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in a dedicated SEO role
- A demonstrable track record of achievement in revenue and lead generation through SEO and PPC
- The ability to identify, plan and execute On-Page strategies to deliver growth in organic search and targeted traffic.
- Proficiency in core web analytics tools and technology
- Good judgement and problem-solving skills
- Bundles of energy and self-motivation, passionate about the power of SEO
- Understand the role SEO plays in business objectives and KPIs
- Experience with the following reporting tools: Google Analytics (inc. WebMaster Tools, Google Studio), Hotjar
PEI has a long-standing reputation for premium brands - we care about substance and quality. This is what sets us apart from our competitors – and has enabled our business to enjoy dramatic growth year on year. But there is still huge potential to grow more – that’s where you come in.
It is the quality of our people that drive our business forward. They are smart, ambitious, creative and committed. You will work in a bunch of people who understand the value of teamwork yet desire to make a personal impact; who are passionate and energetic about what they do and support each other to deliver excellence; who want to differentiate themselves from the pack by delivering outstanding and innovative campaigns. We provide an exciting career opportunity where personal growth and advancement is aligned to the rapid growth of our award-winning business.
This is not a marketing factory. You will not be a cog in a wheel. Marketing careers at PEI are real and responsibility and accountability start from day one. We expect big things from our people. And in return you will have an excellent opportunity for swift career development, genuine recognition and financial reward within a highly successful global media company.
For more information about PEI, visit:
And to see one of our brand websites, visit: